This Privacy Notice explains how Moondance Cancer Initiative collects, stores, manages and protects your personal data. It outlines the types of data that we hold and how we use them. Moondance Cancer Initiative takes its responsibilities around the correct collection, use and destruction of the personal data of its various audiences and stakeholders very seriously and is committed to openness and fairness in the handling of Personal Data. We aim to be clear when we collect information about you and not do anything you wouldn’t reasonably expect.
Moondance Cancer Initiative is the Data Controller (as defined by the Data Protection Act 1998 and all applicable laws which replace or amend it, including the General Data Protection Regulation) who will collect and process your personal data.
- Who we are
- Our purpose
- What information do we collect about you?
- How do we collect the data?
- How will we use your information?
- Marketing communications
- Who do we share your information with and why?
- Where do we keep your data?
- How long do we keep your data?
- How do we protect your data?
- Your rights relating to your personal data
- How to contact us or raise a concern or complaint
- Future changes
Who we are
Moondance Cancer Initiative is an independent not-for-profit organisation dedicated to improving cancer outcomes in Wales.
We are a company limited by guarantee, registered in England and Wales. Company no. 12305964. Registered office: 12 Cathedral Road, Cardiff CF11 9LJ.
What information do we collect about you?
Moondance Cancer Initiative collects and processes personal data to support all of the aims of the organisation.
In order to provide funding of awards and grants and to commission services in support of our work we may collect and process some or all of the following data about applicants, grant and award holders:
- Name, title, gender and date of birth
- Nationality, Passport number, National Insurance number
- Personal photo
- Contact details including postal address, personal email, work email, phone number and links to social media accounts
- Salary details
- Occupation, career history, professional qualifications, CV
- Race and ethnicity
- Where we pay you directly your bank details
For managing events, and promoting the work of Moondance Cancer Initiative, we may collect and process the following data:
- Name, title
- Postal address
- Work email, phone number and links to social media accounts
- Personal photo and video of events
Sensitive personal data
Sensitive categories of data collected may include race, religion and ethnicity which is captured on occasion to enable us to monitor diversity across our programmes. Where collected, this information is captured at the point of application and then maintained as anonymised aggregated data. We will always ask for your consent to collect this information and you may refuse to provide the information. You may also withdraw your consent for us to process this information at any stage though we may already have disposed of the information.
How do we collect the data?
The majority of information we process is obtained directly from you and organisations you work for.
We may also collect information from publicly available sources to keep your information up to date.
We may also obtain your personal data through your use of social media such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn depending on your settings or the privacy policies of these social media and messaging services. To change your settings on these services, please refer to their privacy notices, which will tell you how to do this.
- help make the website easier to use for people with a website account
- help people share our content via social media
- help us understand how the site is being used so that we can identify areas that are working well and areas that need improvement.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google. This does not identify individual users or associate your IP address with other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand web traffic and webpage usage.
For more information about cookies, visit the All about cookies website.
How will we use your information?
We may use the information you give us to:
- send you the publications, newsletters and updates that you have subscribed to
- provide you with the services and the information about our activities and events that you have requested
- conduct surveys and process your response to any survey you participate in for research, evaluation and statistical purposes
- analyse and improve the activities and content offered by the website to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience
- otherwise communicate with you regarding our aims and activities
- ensure we do not send unwanted information to stakeholders who have informed us they do not wish to be contacted
- keep your data up to date
- implement any instructions, you give us with regard to withdrawing consent to send marketing information
- use IP addresses to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use and to establish the number of visits from different countries
- keep a record of your relationship with us
- fulfil contracts you have entered into with Moondance Cancer Initiative.
When and what do we communicate
Moondance Cancer Initiative will only contact you for marketing purposes, for example keep you up to date on our work, where we have your consent or we are otherwise allowed to do so.
We will make it easy for you to tell us if you would like to receive communications from us.
We will not send you marketing material or communications if you tell us that you do not wish to receive it.
Where you give us your consent to send you marketing information, you may opt out of this at any time. You can update or withdraw your consent at any time.
Other circumstances in which you may receive communications from Moondance Cancer Initiative
'Soft opt in'
This allows organisations to send communications by email to individuals, who we have an existing relationship with, and where we have identified that we have a legitimate interest in communicating about Moondance Cancer Initiative, provided they are given the opportunity to opt out at the time of initial communication or engagement.
How to control what we send you or request we update your personal information?
The accuracy of your information is really important to us. We want to ensure that we are able to communicate with you in ways that you are happy with, and to provide you with information that is of interest.
If you wish to change how we communicate with you, or update the information we hold, then please email us at email@example.com.
Additionally, you can opt out of marketing emails at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any marketing email.
How long will it take for these changes to be effective?
We endeavour to make updates to the marketing preference within 10 working days.
Who do we share your information with and why?
Moondance Cancer Initiative will only use the information within the organisation for the purposes for which it was obtained. We will not under any circumstances, share or sell your data with any third party for their own purposes, and you will not receive marketing from any other companies, charities or organisations as a result of giving your details to us.
We may share your information with:
- Third parties who supply services to us or process information on our behalf such as our website developer, event organisers and publishers.
- Assessors, auditors and regulators as required by legal obligation or internal governance
- Moondance Cancer Initiative partners and associated organisations
These “data processors” will only act under our instruction and are subject to contractual obligations containing strict data protection clauses. We do not allow these organisations to use your data for their own purposes or disclose it to other third parties without our consent and we will take all reasonable care to ensure that they keep your data secure.
We will share your information if we are required to by law (for example to law enforcement agencies for the prevention or detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing).
How long do we keep your data?
We will hold your personal data in our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity. These purposes are laid out in the section 'How we will use your information'.
Data related to the application and management of funding applications, awards and grants will be retained for at least seven years after the completion of the programme or engagement.
Financial records will be retained in line with financial law and regulation for at least seven years.
We will keep records of Alumni, Award holders, Network members and other project partners indefinitely. This is to maintain the history of Moondance Cancer Initiative actions and engagements, and to understand the long-term effectiveness and impact of these actions.
If you request that we stop sending you marketing materials we will keep a record of your contact details to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted.
How do we protect your data?
We ensure that there are appropriate and operational measures in place to protect your personal data.
We have appropriate operational measures in place to protect your personal data. We undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff and contractors.
Your rights relating to your personal data
There are specific rights enshrined in law that you have around your data. These rights are:
- Informed – you have the right to be informed about what data we hold and for what purpose
- Access – you have the right to have access to your personal data
- Rectification – you have the right to have your personal data corrected or removed if it is inaccurate
- Erasure – you have the right to have your personal data deleted from our systems
- Restrict processing – you have the right restrict the processing of your personal data
- Right of objection – you have the right to object to the processing of your personal data for communications and marketing
- Portability – you have the right to have your personal data transferred
- Withdraw consent – where you have provided consent to process your personal data you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time
- Complain – you have the right to complain to the regulator and/or seek judicial remedy if your data has not been treated in accordance with the law
We will respond to you within one month of receiving a request related to anyone of the above rights unless the number and complexity of the requests made is deemed sufficiently high in which case we may extend this time by a further two months. We will inform you if we need to make use of this additional time and why we need to do so.
We will not charge you for responding to any of these requests unless it can be demonstrated that you are making an excessive number of repetitive requests or that your request is not based on fact or realistic considerations. In such exceptional cases we may charge you a reasonable fee or choose to refuse your request.
If you disagree with our approach you may raise your concerns with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
To assist us in responding to these requests, we may ask you to verify your identity to make sure we do not give your personal data to the wrong person, update your data with details you did not provide or take action you did not request.
Right to be Informed
Moondance Cancer Initiative has published this Privacy Notice. We aim to be as open and transparent as possible about how we use your personal data.
Right of Access
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of some or all of your personal data please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right of Rectification
It is important to us that the information we hold about you is accurate and up to date. If you believe that the information we hold is inaccurate or incomplete you have the right to ask us to rectify it. If we have passed your data to a third party for processing then we will also contact them to rectify the data. To request the rectification of your data please email us at email@example.com with details of your request.
Right of Erasure
This is sometimes referred to as the “Right to be forgotten”. You can request that we delete your personal data from our systems if you
- Believe the data is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected
- Withdraw your consent (subject to the requirement for us to retain data to process your request)
- Believe we have processed your data unlawfully
- Believe we should delete your data to comply with other laws or regulation
We may choose to refuse your request if we believe:
- We have a legal obligation to keep your data
- It is required for the legitimate interests and purposes of Moondance Cancer Initiative
- It is required for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
To request the erasure of your data please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your request.
Right of Restriction
You have the right to ask Moondance Cancer Initiative to restrict how we process your data. This provides for a temporary halt to processing your data. You may make the request if you believe that
- We should not process your data whilst we are in discussions with you regarding a disagreement over the accuracy of your personal data, or;
- We have processed your data in a manner you believe to be unlawful but rather than asking for the erasure of the data you would prefer another course of action to rectify your issue, or;
- We no longer require the data but you do not wish us to dispose of it as you require it to establish or defend a legal claim
If such as restriction is put in place we shall limit the processing of your data to storage with the following exceptions
- Where the processing is for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
- We must process it to protect the rights of another person
To request the restriction of processing of your data please email us at email@example.com.
Right of Objection
You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data.
If your data is being used for direct marketing purposes you have the right at any time to stop us from contacting you as outlined in this notice.
If we are processing your data for research or statistical purposes or processing your data based on our legitimate interests you may seek to object to the processing of your personal data.
We may reject your request
- Where we are processing data for research and statistical purposes where there is a public interest in the continued processing of the data
- Where we believe we have compelling legitimate grounds for continuing to process your data which outweighs any harm or damage to you through the continued processing of the data
- Where the processing is for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
To object to the processing of your data please email us at please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right of Portability
Moondance Cancer Initiative must allow you to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes. This applies to personal data you have provided to us and is processed in our computer systems. You can request that we provide you with a copy of this data in a format that can be read by another person’s or organisation’s computer system.
You have the right to transfer that copy of your data to another organisation or request that we do it for you where it is technically feasible for us to do so.
This right of transfer can be refused where we feel it may adversely affect the rights of another person.
To request the transfer of your data please email us at please email us at email@example.com.
Right to withdraw consent
Where we rely on your consent for the processing of your data you have the right to change your mind and withdraw your consent at any time. If you withdraw your consent we must stop processing your data.
To withdraw your consent for processing your data please email us at please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right to Complain
You have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) if:
- We do not take action on your request within one month of receipt and do not provide you with reasons why
- You believe that the way we are processing your data is not in keeping with the requirements of the law
- You believe your rights have been infringed because of the way we have processed your data
Please see the following section for contact information.
How to contact us or raise a concern or complaint
Contacting Moondance Cancer Initiative
If you have any concerns about how your personal data is being collected and processed, or wish to exercise any of your rights detailed in this Privacy Notice please please email us at please email us at email@example.com.
Contacting the Information Commissioner’s Office
If you have wider concerns about how Moondance Cancer Initiative manages information or wish to make a complaint please contact the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). The ICO can be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/. Concerns can also be logged via the ICO website https://ico.org.uk/concerns/