We're committed to continuing the impactful work made possible by Moondance's funding, and to working with the wider Moondance network to transform bowel cancer outcomes in Wales.
Genevieve Edwards ― Chief Executive, Bowel Cancer UK
Bowel Cancer UK is the UK’s leading bowel cancer charity. They provide expert information and support to patients and their families, educate health professionals and the public about the disease, campaign for early diagnosis and access to the best treatment and care, and fund targeted research.
The funding provided to Bowel Cancer UK in the first phase of the Bowel Cancer Programme allowed them to begin developing much needed patient services, start building their volunteer base and engage with a range of healthcare professionals across Wales.
Further funding is enabling them to:
- Continue to develop support services in Wales for bowel cancer patients and their loved ones, including full roll out of their 'Chat Together' service
- Develop a range of accessible mechanisms that facilitate regular patient engagement and involvement across the country
- Enhance their education, engagement and support offer to healthcare professionals, including expanding their work engaging community pharmacies launched in phase 1
- Continue to raise awareness of bowel screening and the signs and symptoms of bowel cancer, growing their volunteer base across Wales to deliver awareness work both online and face-to-face.
Bowel Cancer Community Voices Cymru
Bowel Cancer Community Voices Cymru is for people affected by bowel cancer in Wales and through a range of consultation mechanisms will:
- Allow patients an opportunity to safely and confidently share their experiences
- Provide consultation on both existing services and potential future services (both Bowel Cancer UK services and available to professionals/services externally)
- Give patients the opportunity to be involved in the design and delivery of bowel cancer services in Wales
You can commit to as much or as little as you want, from signing up to complete occasional online surveys, to committing to joining weekly project groups.
You can register your interest in joining on the Bowel Cancer UK website here.
Community Pharmacies raising awareness
Community pharmacists and their team can play a key role in helping the public take the first steps towards recognising bowel problems and potential bowel cancer symptoms. Bowel Cancer UK now offer a free course for community pharmacy staff in Wales. Developed in consultation with pharmacists, the online course (available in English and Welsh) will help pharmacists and their team understand the symptoms of the disease, prevention advice and the importance of taking part in bowel screening. Community pharmacies can also access a free toolkit that includes bowel cancer awareness materials and a sample bowel screening kit and instructions for demonstration. If you work in a community pharmacy in Wales, you can order your free toolkit here.